HIERARCHY

Forums Sankhya Philosophy HIERARCHY

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Danakeli March 12, 2019 at 4:41 pm.

• Author
    Danakeli
    Participant

We’ve been learning of the hierarchy of sense objects, sensations, senses, mind, intellect, ego & mahat-tattva. In the following from <i>Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam</i> 1.18.26, Śrīla Prabhupāda’s comment seems to indicate a tier called “breathing activities” between the tier of mind & that of intellect, unless I’m reading it incorrectly. What could this mean?

“In the <i>Bhagavad-gītā</i> also we have the information of the gradual development of perception from matter to a living entity. Our material mind and body develop from the living entity, the soul, and being influenced by the three qualities of matter, we forget our real identity…. The perception of matter is transcended to still subtler states of the senses. <i><b>The senses are transcended to the subtler mind, and then to breathing activities and gradually to intelligence. </b></i>Beyond the intelligence, the living soul is realized by the mechanical activities of the yoga system, or practice of meditation restraining the senses, regulating the breathing system and applying intelligence to rise to the transcendental position.”

•  
    •  
    •  
    Ashish
    Participant

The mind perceives the individuals and the intellect perceives the universals. An object such as a table is an individual (thing) and a universal (table). The connection between the universal and  the individual is called prana. You can imagine this universal as a material tree and the individual as the soul. The prana ties this soul or indiviudal to matter or universal.

This is sometimes also explained as manasprana, and vak, where the ‘manas‘ is the universal, ‘vak‘ is the individual and they are connected by prana. Basically, matter is not individual particles. It is universal concepts. The individuality is separate from these concepts.

•  
    •  
    •  
      Danakeli
      Participant
      Participant

Thank you. That helps.

So matter, or the objective world, is the set of universal concepts, & we (the conscious entities) individuate matter, & that individuation is merely phenomenal (not objective)?

•  
      •  
      •  
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Danakeli.
    Ashish
    Participant

No matter is also individual, but it is individual concepts, which are universals. Just like there are many individual tables and there is one universal concept ‘table’. That ‘table’ is an individual, different from ‘chair’. But it is not the individual chairs and tables. Universal doesn’t mean there is one thing. It’s a technical term derived from Plato’s philosophy of ideas which are universals.

•  
    •  
    •  
      Danakeli
      Participant
      Participant

Ok, understood now. Thank you.

•  
      •  
      •  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.