Cymatics

Forums Sankhya Philosophy Cymatics

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ashish March 3, 2019 at 3:38 am.

• Author
    Danakeli
    Participant

I’m curious as to whether the field of cymatics is relevant to Sankhya, which states that the objective world is composed of vibrations w/ meaning, utilizing the ideas of śabda-brahma, vāk, etc.

https://www.cymascope.com/cyma_research/biology.html

•  
    •  
    •  
    Ashish
    Participant

I did not know about Cymatics, thanks for pointing it out.

From what I could gather from brief reading, they are measuring the physical effects of physical vibrations. These are called ‘standing waves’ in physics. They are like musical vibrations. The different shapes and patterns are certainly interesting, but I could find anything that says that a certain type of vibration represnets a particular type of meaning. Am I missing something?

•  
    •  
    •  
      Danakeli
      Participant
      Participant

Yes, it seems they’re simply studying the physical effects of physical vibrations. They are impressed that pure sounds can organize matter into patterns & geometries, some of which are found in biological organisms. I suspect they are still reductionists who wish to boil consciousness down to a product of physical patterns caused by sounds, though.

I just thought it interesting that their research is pointing in the right direction—that periodic vibrations are the foundation of the formation of all things, including biological forms. Seems they could be potential candidates for accepting the idea that these vibrations must carry meaning & must be vibrated w/ an intention to produce experiences.

•  
      •  
      •  
    Ashish
    Participant

Yes, it is an idea in the right direction. All vibrations involve two things — (a) some energy, and (b) a boundary within which this energy is confined. Every boundary will produce different kinds of vibrations (e.g. in a string instrument the boundary is the specified length of the string). These boundaries constitute the ‘design’ in a physical sense, which means that to produce the desired kinds of vibrations, we must ‘design’ the system by defining the correct types of boundaries.

•  
    •  
    •  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.